Sunday, January 25, 2009

Chapter 5 (102 - 136)

I feel like I am a part of a lot of communities, but I can honestly not think of places within them that I am a member of. I am a part of the Danville, California community considering that it is a small geographical location and I was very involved in that community before I came to college. Every time I go out in my hometown, to either a restaurant or a boutique, I always see at least someone that I know. I can not think of a specific place where I think is special though to that community.

I also have a communities here in Fort Worth, Texas. Both Texas Christian University and Kappa Alpha Theta are communities that I care about and contribute a significant amount too. I am a part of Student Foundation and the Greek Life at TCU as well as multiple clubs and student organizations. I don't want to write about any of those though because although they are interesting, I really don't know what makes the places so special. I am apart of the Kappa Alpha Theta sorority and I know that that is a special organization but there are not specific "places" within the sorority that I feel are "special".

I am a part of a diabetic community as well and a specific place in that community that I consider special is Bearskin Meadow Camp. BMC caters to diabetic families and children who are just looking to be around those who deal with the same daily struggles that most of those conflicted with the disease do. After being a camper at BMC for seven years and then working there as a counselor for three years I have learned how to take aspects of that community and work them in to the other communities that I am involved in by providing them information to increase awareness. I honestly believe that I give my all in everything that I do, but camp is the one place that I know for a fact that I am making a difference.

No comments:

Post a Comment