Monday, April 20, 2009

Humor Argument: Author's Note

My humorous argument is in the form of a parody of a Dr. Seuss poem "One Fish, Two Fish." I really like it, especially since I am not a very creative or funny person and I think that it is a good expression of me as an author that I could actually pull this off! My topic of truancy and the daytime teen curfew was also a very flexible to work with and made it easy to replace the words of the original story.
I like the format of my argument because I think that although it is direct and does point the finger of responsibility at the parents of truants, it is still humorous because it approaches the subject through a very childish medium. Dr. Seuss is also very popular so I feel that it works in terms of presenting my argument in a format that many people would understand.
My concerns with my humorous argument is that it does not touch on an argument and that it is a little bit too silly. I am wondering also if I should have picked a more mature medium for my argument because I feel like my position on this issue will not be taken seriously. Also, is it funny enough? Are there any alterations I could do to this piece to make it better or more complete? I am also concerned with whether or not it is long enough because I put a lot of effort in to it but I do not know if it reflects that.

7 comments:

  1. I LOVED your poem! That was such a good idea and you made it work really well. I like how it explains the topic so anyone can understand it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rachel,
    Your piece is very well written. I really like the contrast between a popular children's poem and a mature subject. The humor comes in that contrast because the poem is so light-hearted and the subject matter is heavy. I think it is funny and gets the point across well. Good luck!
    Holly

    ReplyDelete
  3. RACCCHHHEEEL!
    You have the coolest humor arguement... gee I wish I was that creative! I love the rhyme time throughout the entire piece, especially the way you read it to us in class! PERFECT!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I enjoyed your creative approach because it takes a real problem and makes into something that children and adults can both relate to. I do not much about your topic, but I was still able to understand and laugh, Good JOb!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Rachel, your humerous piece was SO funny and thoughtful! It was very well written which made it even more funny! Very creative to do a piece like that! Love it!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very creative. I know I wouldn't be able to do that. It puts the actual problem of truancy into a funny aspect.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow.. That was really impressive how you were able to turn that Dr. Suess poem into one related to your argument. That was very original and I can tell that you put a lot of effort into it. I think you picked a great medium to get your argument across.. congrats!

    ReplyDelete