I found three cartoons that were about curfews in general because none were that specific to the daytime curfews being imposed on Dallas teenagers. The first use of humor is in a cartoon that has bats hanging upside down and the text reads "And where have you been all day young lady? Your mother and I have been worried sick!" This is a play on words especially considering the fact that bats are nocturnal animals. I can't really tell however what position this cartoon artist was taking when they designed this picture.
The second humorous cartoon I found was a sketch that showed a police officer asking a teenager in baggy clothes and a baseball cap on "Shouldn't you be in Youth Detention Center?" It is hard to tell exactly what this author was trying to argue, but he was probably trying to say that the curfew criminalizes teenagers who are outside of class, even if they are not doing anything legally wrong.
The third and final example I found was not that funny, nor did I really understand the point of it. It was just a visual representation of the curfew. It kind of mocks the time frames that have been set forth for evening curfews, but it does not focus on daytime curfews.
Overall, it was hard to find examples of humor relating to my topic in any form. I think after looking for some more things besides cartoons I may gain a better understanding as to how this issue is comedic to some, or how to portray it as a humorous argument. I think that maybe because this topic is fairly serious and addresses the issue of truancy, it will be important to keep the target audience in mind when creating this piece of work.
Tuesday, April 14, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment