Saturday, March 28, 2009

Editorial

It was really difficult for me to find an article that I disagreed with when I was researching the topic of the Dallas teen curfew law that is being imposed. The closest I got was choosing an editorial that I both agreed and disagreed with. The article is from KERA News which is a public television and radio network for the north Texas area. Michael Tate is the commentator and the editorial was posted on March 18th, 2009.
It is clear that in this editorial Tate is very much against the new daytime curfew plan for teenagers. He even suggests that he hopes it will "die a quiet death." He says that the proposal of this law will not fix the truancy issue. There is general information given about the curfew such as: "It will be in effect from 9 am to 2 pm on the class days of each public school district in the city." The author immediately questions why the Dallas community is in this position to make a law like this. He points the finger of blame to the ineffective school system.
He again, later in the article, addresses the fact that the law will not take care of the problems that cause teens to cut class or drop out.
In some parts I agree that the curfew may not be the best solution, but at least someone with authority is doing something about it. If this man cared enough he would have suggested another alternative to fix the truancy problem. He also fails to address the issue of the teenagers parents and what their responsibility to the community is.
I am not convinced by his rebuttal to the law, nor does it persuade me to change my view on the subject. Although he raises some few significant points he lacks a sophisticated verbiage choice which would make many not take him very seriously.

No comments:

Post a Comment