Sunday, March 1, 2009

Research Progression

My view on Mexico Drug Violence and its influence on tourism has somewhat changed in terms of how severe I thought the situation was. There are plenty of sources, both primary and secondary, that emphasize that it is unsafe to travel to Mexico, yet there are sources that say that with specific precautionary measures, one could travel to the country and not have any problems. What matters though, is how people interpret these sources' facts, opinions and pieces of evidence.
I originally thought that it was just a problem to be ignored and that it was not very significant in effecting travel to Mexico. As I analyze my primary sources though I realize that ti is a much more serious issue. Once the Travel Alert was issued by the United States Government people, including myself, started to view the issues in Mexico as urgent. Because of the credibility of the sources that I am reading, it is easy to be persuaded by the arguments they present.
Three of my four sources however, do not directly state whether or not someone should travel to Mexico. They only offer tips or travel safety precautions to follow if one was to visit the country as well as locations to avoid. It is important to understand the author of the argument however to understand their possible bias towards the subject.
My topic has evolved to more of a concentration on Mexican Drug Cartels, their violence and their influence on tourism. Again, although my sources do not directly state whether or not one should visit the country, their are implications in the structure and wording of the argument that convinces the reader otherwise.

No comments:

Post a Comment