Sunday, February 15, 2009

Author's Note for Portfolio

Overall, I think my paper turned out really well. I really enjoy writing on subjects I know a lot about because I feels like it provides a good basis for writing a paper. The approach I took to this essay was somewhat condescending, but I feel that in order for an author to get a point across about a space and what it means, they have to add their own personal interpretation of the location. It was interesting to me how I found different arguments all around the space that I had already visited probably 40 times in my life. It is easier to not notice things that are being projected on you in the space when you are a customer, but as an observer you recognize so many other things.
The main emphasis or controlling idea in my paper was how Palm Beach Tan influences women; especially young women. The idea that society has this perfect stereotype of what a woman should be (thin, blond, tan, etc.) and how Palm Beach Tan embodies that idea. From their staff to the pristine environment to the glowing models on the posters they are manipulating the female demographic, through these various arguments, to fit into mainstream society.
It is hard to explain a tanning salon to a woman who has never been to one or especially to a man and this is why I specifically tried to include vivid descriptions so that no matter what "group" in society you fit in to, you could understand this essay and all of the arguments Palm Beach makes.
I like this piece because I feel like it is honest and written from various points of view (the customer and the observer) and makes a general statement about the argument Palm Beach Tan is trying to state, as well as the underlying arguments that many people may not see within the space.

No comments:

Post a Comment