To some, Palm Beach Tan may seem like a very superficial place and one that no one can relate to, but they are completely wrong. Palm Beach Tan is a vital part of the Texas Christian University community. During my observation I saw at least 10 girls enter the salon that I knew or had seen before. Another 12 had either TCU clothes on or a sorority shirt. I do think its weird that none of the girls who work there go to TCU, maybe it is because those who are going to college have higher ranking jobs in the community. For some though, some may view PBT as a nuisance or a waste of space in the community. I mean, really all it contributes is skin cancer and tan bodies.
The community that Palm Beach Tan is centered in also consists of local businesses. Restraunts such as Panera and IHOP, a nail salon and local boutiques for women. It is important to realize that the majority of those girls that do go to TCU who tan, go to Palm Beach. The community in Fort Worth is much less focused on "looks" as say Dallas would be, but it is still a very important part of our culture.
Wednesday, February 4, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I like how you can see both sides of the story of your public space. I think the fact that you can analyze a space in which you are so familiar, while others are not as comfortable, present an opportunity for you to describe a place many are unfamiliar with.
ReplyDelete