Monday, February 2, 2009

Chapter 8 (217-249)

While visiting my space I learned a lot about it. I never noticed many things while using Palm Beach Tan but by just sitting and observing instead of using the facility, I was able to see many different things about the space.
The environment was much different when I watched the staff interact without any customers around besides myself. The environment was also very welcoming because of the gold walls and comfortable chairs that those who are waiting sit in. It was also interesting to notice the difference in the furniture compared to the front of the store where most people wait and the furniture in each of the separate tanning rooms. You go from having a very comfortable blue chair to a hard plastic one. The difference in the textures determines the functionality and comfort of each room.
I also noticed that the store was immaculate in terms of spotlessness. The tile floor was pristine and it seemed like in the hour period I was there, there was a lot of cleaning going on by the staff.
The staff is a completely different story at Palm Beach Tan. Normally there are not many jobs when being attractive is a requirement, but that is not true if you were looking for a job here. All of the staff that I saw was female and they all had piles of make up on their faces. They were also all, you guessed, incredibly and almost sickening tan. They greet you with a smile and take you through the process of swiping your finger and telling them how long you would like to tan for. The jargon they use, however would not be easily understood by someone who has never been to a tanning salon. That also makes the space special because anyone could walk into the store but only select people would actually understand what was going on.

No comments:

Post a Comment