For my topic I have decided to explore Type I Diabetes. More specifically I would like to examine whether or not the cause of Diabetes is thought to be nature, nurture or both. There is no specific cause that can be directly related to Diabetes as far as research can tell but I am interested in what people think causes the disease to develop. For primary sources I would like to talk to some endocrinologists, individuals with diabetes, their parents or care takers, dietitians and those who lead programs that help families cope with the disease. I think it would be interesting to see how different people who are involved with different aspects of the disease interpret the reason why certain individuals get it and others don't.
Does it have to do with a specific genetic mutation that someone is born with and then later triggered by some chemical imbalance? Is the trigger due to an environmental trigger? Why is it that some nations or regions have a more prevalent base of Diabetes and others do not? Although there is no correct answer to the question what is the cause of Type I Diabetes, there are a lot of contradictory view points and I think that each view point depends on the exposure one has had to the auto-immune disease.
I think that understanding the cause of Type I Diabetes is extremely important. All of the journals medical professionals write based on experiences and experiments with diabetic people are one step closer to finding the cause. The key factor in finding a cure for Diabetes is to directly link the cause to a specific aspect and use corrective treatment to reverse or prevent the disease from occurring.
Wednesday, February 18, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment